Raul Fernandez Wins Moto2 at COTA in Record Tying Race.October 3, 2021
Rookie sensation Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) became the first rider since Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) to claim seven Moto2 races. Fernandez was in total command of the Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas at the Circuit of the Americas. Fabio Di Giannantonio (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) claimed the second podium position, with Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) earning the final place.
Bezzecchi repulsed continued assaults from Cameron Beaubier (American Racing), Tony Arbolino (Liqui Moly Intact GP) and Augusto Fernandez (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) in the final ten laps of the race, before securing his third-place finish.
Moto2 World Champion leader and Red Bull KTM Ajo teammate, Remy Gardner, suffered his first incomplete race of the season. Fernandez and Gardner are locked in a battle for the 2021 Championship, separated by a mere nine points. Gardner encountered trouble on Lap 6 at Turn 15 where his machine stalled and he was unable to restart.
1. Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo)
2. Fabio Di Giannantonio (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 1.734
3. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 3.100
4. Augusto Fernandez (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) + 4.061
5. Cameron Beaubier (American Racing) + 5.381
6. Tony Arbolino (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 7.577
7. Ai Ogura (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) + 11.087
8. Xavi Vierge (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 14.949
9. Marcos Ramirez (American Racing) + 16.051
10. Jake Dixon (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 18.278