Marc Marquez Earns Seventh MotoGP Victory at COTAOctober 3, 2021
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team), the eight-time MotoGP World Champion, earned his seventh win at the Circuit of the Americas in the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas. Current World Championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) earn a second-place finish. Quartararo extended his championship lead over Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) to 52 points. Bagnaia earned the final podium position.
Marquez was masterful in perfectly executing a maneuver that took him from the third grid position, out flanking pole sitter Bagnaia. Marquez held the lead for the entirety of the race, having to fend serious challenges by Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) and Jorge Martin (Pramac Racing).
Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) had the first crash-out of the race, losing control on the second lap at Turn 12. Nakagami rejoined the pursuit but finished in a disappointing 17th place. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) and Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) did not finish.
Reigning World Champion Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) took a one place penalty after contacting Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) at Turn 15.
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team)
2. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 4.679
3. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 8.547
4. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 11.098
5. Jorge Martin (Pramac Racing) + 11.752
6. Enea Bastianini (Avintia Esponsorama) + 13.269
7. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 14.722
8. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 13.406*
9. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 15.832
10. Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team) + 20.265
*One place penalty